Print this page!

Monday, August 9, 2021

SOMETHING'S FISHY

 Every Summer I create a "fish" table.   The star of the show this year is this colorful triggerfish creamer, and she's hanging out on a colorful tablecloth I purchased on ebay last year.  I set the kitchen table with the idea of having an ice cream party.   



With all this fishy stuff going on, I got the urge to make a trifle.  Don't know why because I never made or even tasted a trifle, but it's a beautiful dessert and has all good yummies in it. Trifle is served in a certain type of bowl.  It's a straight-sided bowl, often footed, but the original trifle bowls were not footed.  I happened to have a non-footed trifle bowl, so I placed it on a cake pedestal, and it looked awesome.  I moved the table setting to the dining room and set it up for trifle and tea.  I decided to make a banana split trifle and invited our good friends, John and Rosemary to join us for dessert.  We had a lovely time, and I was pleased with how the trifle turned out since it was my first attempt.

Banana Split Trifle

Traditional trifle uses a sponge cake soaked in sherry or some type of alcohol and is a must for Christmas dessert. I didn't use the alcohol, as it's not to my liking. I used Godiva White Chocolate Pudding, and I wouldn't go that route again.  I think vanilla pudding would taste better which is what I'll use next time. It took me almost an hour to make it.

My trifle was layers of the following starting from the bottom up. (Serves 8)

        Marble cake cut into cubes (optional:  white or yellow cake)

        Sliced banana

        Vanilla pudding 

        Bananas, strawberries, and crushed pineapple (drained)

        Marble cake cut into cubes

        Vanilla pudding

        Topped with a thick layer of whipped cream, Hershey's Chocolate syrup, and toasted walnuts.

I made it 3 hours ahead and kept it in the refrigerator, and it held up perfectly.  Beware, your kitchen will look like a bomb hit it, but I rinsed and quickly stashed the prep dishes in the dishwasher.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment