Print this page!

Sunday, May 1, 2022

BLUE WILLOW

 Having received the Fine China of Japan, Royal Meissen plates (4) from ebay, I set my table in blue and white which Vinnie loves.  He said it's his favorite table setting.  

Upon ordering the plates, I dove into research about the dishware.   It was produced in Japan in the mid 20th Century, and was popular in the 1970's.  These dishes should not be mistaken for Meissen porcelain which is quite valuable. The Fine China of Japan, Royal Meissen pattern was discontinued, and can only be found on resale sites.   Price wise, my newly acquired set is mid range, but I had to be careful in my selection because the costs were all over the place on ebay.  In the end, for six bread and four dinner plates, I spent $121 all in.  I like this pattern for two reasons: It's a pretty shade of blue that blends well with other blue and white patterns, and the plates have a scalloped rim which adds interest.

My table is set with a Blue Willow teacup (England) and saucer (Japan) which led me to research this pattern.  Created in England in the mid 1700s the pattern is essentially a knock off of Chinese Nanking porcelain.   The creator, Thomas Turner, also made up the Blue Willow Legend as a marketing ploy.  The pattern became wildly popular as part of the chinoiserie decor movement of the Georgian Era. While chinoiserie decor died out, Blue Willow and other blue and white patterns remain quite popular.  I love an eclectic table, so I mix and match.  The teapot is a Chinese style called Rice Eyes, or Rice Grain, because there are little rice-shaped divots in the porcelain that lets the light shines through. Again, mix and match for interest.  

The photo under my table setting is Carolyne Roehm's Weatherston home in Connecticut.  A famous designer, artist, and author, she has a vast collection of blue and white porcelain with many large pieces displayed in this chinoiserie room.  Chinoiserie still exists as a specialized decor style.

Plates: Fine China of Japan, Royal Meissen.  Tea cup and saucer: Blue Willow

Carolyne Roehm's chinoiserie room at her Weatherstone Connecticut home


No comments:

Post a Comment