Print this page!

Saturday, May 7, 2022

MORE CHINOISERIE

This seems to be my blue and white period, or better yet, I have immersed myself in Chinoiserie which became popular during the Georgian period in England and France.  It is the Western interpretation of East Asian decor.   Ever popular green rooms with lots of gold gild and blue and white vases, planters, bowls, and ginger jars with classic Chinese architecture reflected in molding, picture frames, mirrors, and furniture.  The rooms are usually painted a light green but sometimes are "Chinese" red.   Chinoiserie lost its popularity in the early 20th century.  It remains a classic style and can be found in some home decor.   In my previous post, you will see a room designed by Carolyn Roehm in classic Chinoiserie style using all the classic colors.  She takes artistic license and uses a pretty magenta instead of "Chinese" red for the silk accent pillows.  Here's a great example of Chinois fabric:

Fabric sample from Post House: $58/yd

I had fun transforming my dining room into a quasi Chinoiserie style.   My room has red walls. The color is Benjamin Moore Persimmon which leans to a pinkish-red color and blends well with other reds.  The dining room furniture is far from Chinese, or Asian and in fact, is Biedermeier (art deco), but I'm not looking for a complete transformation.  The collage below is the way I play around with colors on the screen before I apply the design.  I didn't include the crinkle green tablecloth, but it's a consideration.


My table is set with blue and white Fine China of Japan, Royal Meissen. I cleared the cloches off the teacart and decorated it with an imari bowl filled with nesting teacups and a rice eyes teapot.  I've dotted the room with blue and white porcelain and resurrected a birdcage, placed it on an Asian-style accent table, and filled it with fairy lights.  I do get a little carried away, and my husband just shakes his head. I find the process fascinating. 

I've spent the last few days procuring several pieces to add to my collection. The most difficult to identify were the red, blue, and gold pieces with raised enamel (moriage) over the glaze.  I found a sugar, creamer, and teacup/saucer in this gorgeous design, and upon researching, discovered that they are Meiji Period Japanese Kyoto Satsuma Moriage, circa 1868-1890.  Amazing Japanese porcelain art.

Meiji Period Japanese Kyoto Satsuma Moriage, circa 1860-1890


I can't help myself with the birds, so I found this figural teapot.  It's American, but the blue is what works with Chinoiserie.

Meridian Ceramics, Kingfisher

And finally, I'm waiting for an auction to end for 2 Imari plates.  I bid $0.99!   I have a 6 1/2" plate, so why not expand the collection for such a bargain.

Japanese Imari Dragon Plates, ebay bid, $0.99

COMING UP: Mother's Day, and photos of the dining room.   Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment